The site of the present day Coppelia House can first be identified on a Manorial Survey in 1790. The site was about a third of an acre and described as a ‘barn, linhay and garden’. It belonged to the manor of the Earl of Devon, Lord Courtenay.
By 1818 there was an inhabited property on the site called ‘Borohaye’. In 1844 a solicitor named William White paid land tax on the ‘dwellinghouse with offices, stable, coach house and garden, of about half an acre’. The freehold was still held by Lord Courtenay.
Following the death of William White in 1854 the property was divided equally between his six brothers and sisters. It was agreed by all parties that Borohaye became a Convalescent Home, although a plaque by the door sates ‘To the Glory of God this convalescent homes was founded in 1873 by the Misses Lovell Phillips of Torquay…’ initially for 14 patients.
The Bowrings sold the property to Miss Mary and Miss Julia Phillips in 1877. In 1879 and extension was added to the men’s sitting room and women’s large ward. In 1898 the dining room wing was added, further alterations were made to other areas within the home during 1905, all funded by voluntary contributions and income from investments. Accommodation was raised to 25 patients. In 1901 the ‘Phillips’ purchased the ‘garden ground’ of Moor View (a house in nearby Pound St).
In 1948 at the start of the National Health Service it was taken over as the Moretonhampstead Recovery Hospital and formally opened following refurbishment in 1950. In 1956 a new sun lounge was opened.
The Convalescent Home closed in 1975 and remained empty until 1980 when it was purchased by Roger & Jill Passmore. It was renamed Coppelia House and ran as a private nursing and residential home with 30 beds.
In February 2003 Coppelia House was purchased by Peninsula Care Homes as a 30 bed Home. In Peninsula Care Homes took the decision to no longer continue with nursing and Coppelia House became a Residential Home.